Your Cart is Currently Empty
TAS' very own Editor in Chief, Robert Harley, has just published the fifth edition of what was, is, and remains the best book ever written about hi-fi, his Complete Guide to High-End Audio. Introduced in 1994 (can it have been twenty-one years since this book first came out?), the Complete Guide has previously been updated three timesto keep it current with the advances in technology that have occurred over the past two decades. The latest updatethe Fifth Editionadds nearly fifty pages of new material and countless revisions of older entries to accommodate what Robert calls (in his preface) a greater number of "profound changes in audio technology than in any previous decade."
Music servers, streaming audio, wireless networking, desktop hi-fi's, high-resolution downloads, and the rapid ascent of personal listening via high-end headphones were not yet or just barely on the map when the Fourth Edition of the Complete Guide was published a scant five years ago. Today, they are among the hottest tickets on the market.
In the Fifth Edition, Robert covers them alland the myriad smaller, less attention-grabbing ways that advancing technology has moved the quest for more lifelike musical reproduction forward.
But comprehensiveness is scarcely the only attraction of the new Complete Guide. No onenot even the great J. Gordon Holt in his primecould or can demystify the mind-bogglingly technical the way Mr. Harley can. It is precisely his ability to explain the thorniest complexities in plain English that has made the Complete Guide the enduring classic that it is.
Anyone taking his first steps into computer, desktop, or personal/mobile audio, anyone deeply interested in the current (and I mean right-up-to-date) state of the audio arts, anyone looking for lucid explanations of how amplifiers, preamplifiers, loudspeakers, headphones, even computer servers work (and what to look for when you buy one) would be well advised to purchase the Fifth Edition of The Complete Guide to High-End Audio. All your answers are here, written in the graceful, meticulous, easy-to-understand prose of a genuine master.
All orders are processed within 48 hours from date of order.
We offer Free Ground Shipping on all orders regardless of size.
- If you would like to receive your order quicker you can request Express shipping during Check-Out in the Comments section. Additional charges will apply.
- In-stock items are shipped from our Vancouver warehouse and will reach major Canadian cities in 5-7 business days.
- Items not in stock will either ship from one of our manufacturer partners' warehouses or in rare cases first must be sent to Vancouver and then to you.
- If the expected arrival to you will be more than 7 business days you will be notified by email and at that point you will have the option to proceed or if you cannot wait then order can be cancelled.
We will gladly:
- (a) exchange a product that is not special ordered, or shipped from one of our partner warehouses, for a new product of equal value (product purchased must be unopened)
- (b) exchange a product if it is defective or damaged for the same product
within 15 days after the product has been delivered to you.
Returns for refund are not accepted.
For an exchange, you must notify us by email at email@example.com. We will acknowledge receipt of your email by reply and assist you in returning the product as identified below. Make sure to send and have your return package post marked within the 15 days after the product has been delivered to you.
- Headphones may not be returned or exchanged for any reason, only defective units will be replaced for the same model
- Items that have been opened may not be returned
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may cancel an order if the product is not delivered to the delivery address on your order form within 30 days of the date your order is accepted.
To cancel, you must notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will acknowledge receipt of your email and process the cancellation.
Products returning for exchange must be unused and in their sealed, original factory packaging.
Buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.