Gryphon Stand Alone DAC
Product Code : Kaliope
KALLIOPE (a.k.a. Calliope, meaning “beautiful voice”) is the eldest of the Muses, goddesses of music, song and dance in Greek mythology. Kalliope is the goddess of epic poetry and eloquence.
In any audio system, there are certain points along the signal path that are more crucial than others. These are the intersections where the signal is converted from one form of energy into another. Such transformations occur when the needle of a phono cartridge traverses the micro-grooves of a vinyl record, converting kinetic energy into an electrical signal. At the opposite end of the signal path, loudspeakers must transform electrical input into acoustic output.
But perhaps the most critical transformation of all is the conversion of the output of digital sources into an analogue signal, ideally without loss or distortion of any kind. Despite the lofty claims of many manufacturers, what is lost or changed at this point can never be recovered or restored.
In acknowledgment of the on-going refinement of digital audio sources and the rapid evolution of high-resolution digital audio formats, Gryphon Audio Designs now presents the Gryphon Kalliope digital to analogue converter to stand as the gateway that conveys the musical signal from one domain to the next in utterly pristine condition.
- Dedicated ESS SABRE ES9018 32-bit D/A converter for each channel
- Each ES9018 incorporates eight individual D/A converters in Dual Differential coupling for optimal performance
- USB input compatible with following audio formats via PC/MAC. PCM: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384 kHz, up to 32 bits. DSD via USB (DoP): 2.822, 3.072, 5.644 and 6.144 MHz
- BNC and XLR inputs compatible with PCM: 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, up to 24 bits
- User-selectable PCM and DSD digital roll-off filters
- User-selectable asynchronous PCM sample rate conversion
- Temperature-compensated, ultra-low jitter crystal oscillators with better than 5 parts per million accuracy
- 12.5 Farad SuperCap powersupply for the Kalliope USB module which acts like a true battery supply
- Balanced 110 Ohm XLR AES/EBU input
- Three single-ended 75 Ohm BNC S/PDIF inputs.
- Balanced 110 Ohm XLR AES/EBU output for de-jittered signal from selected input
- Galvanic isolation of BNC and XLR inputs for minimal jitter
- 75 Ohm BNC connector for optional external word clock
- Modular digital audio sections for possible future upgrades
- True Class A, fully discrete analogue circuitry with zero negative feedback
- First-order PCM analogue filters and second-order DSD analogue filters with silvered Mica capacitors
- Analogue output stages with discrete, ultra-low noise +/- 25VDC regulated voltage supplies for best THD and noise suppression
- Discrete, ultra-low noise power supply for analogue section of ES9018 DAC
- Comprehensive noise regulation of all digital circuits
- Custom-built 65 VA toroidal transformer for each analogue channel
- 34,000 microFarad power capacitor banks for each analogue channel
- True Dual Mono configuration
- Balanced XLR analogue outputs and single-ended phono outputs
- Ultra-short signal path with minimal internal wiring
- Four-layer 70μ thick copper trace PCB’s
- Personalised naming of each input
- Vacuum Fluorescent Display with variable illumination
- No drivers required for LINUX or MAC OSX
- Driver available for Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- Automatic standby mode with user-selectable interval
- Standby power consumption less than 0.5W in accordance with EU regulations
- 12V link in/out
- Infrared remote control
- EU CE approval