Your Cart is Currently Empty
As we strive to push back the boundaries of what is possible in home audio, Gryphon Audio Designs occasionally builds highly experimental testbed prototypes. We create these no holds barred components for our own edification as tools in the development and refinement of real-world products.
These rarefied, strictly non-commercial laboratory instruments serve as an absolute reference for the current state of the art. They are take no prisoners exploratory projects, built with scant regard for cost, just as size, weight, appearance, transportability and spousal approval are wholly irrelevant.
The latest of these experiments, designed with no thought for the marketplace and no intention of being offered for sale have been dubbed the Gryphon Pandora preamplifier and the Gryphon Mephisto power amplifier.
They were conceived as a no-compromise, price-no-object design exercise to be the ultimate evaluative tools, to lend new meaning to such terms as resolution, soundstaging, transparency and, especially, musicality.
But, as was the case with the now legendary Gryphon Reference One power amplifier and Poseidon loudspeaker before them, both conceived for a similar higher purpose, history repeats itself, as friends, business partners, audio journalists and other visitors respond with ecstatic enthusiasm to the performance of these components in the Gryphon showroom.
As a consequence of this groundswell of encouragement, Gryphon founder and CEO Flemming E. Rasmussen decided that it would be an appropriate celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the very first Gryphon amplifier to offer our bench tools in a strictly limited edition to the select circle of individuals who share his unwavering obsession with the exploration of the farthest boundaries of music reproduction with no concessions to cost, size, weight and fashion.
The bold lines of the custom made Mephisto heatsink profiles and distinctive sheen of the brushed aluminium housing provide a visual signal of exactly what to expect when the Mephisto is powered up in collaboration with the few audio components in the world that are worthy of its company.
Living up to its heritage as an evaluation tool, the Gryphon Mephisto is revealing with unrivalled surgical precision, yet remains inherently musical and true to the heart and soul of the performance. Without ever losing sight of the subtlest nuances and micro-details, Mephisto maintains a firm grip on coherence, timbre and the overall musical event.
- Pure Class A 200 Watts (8 Ohm), 400 W (4 Ohm), 800 W (2 Ohm), continuous RMS
- Monoblock configuration
- Zero global negative feedback
- 80 high current bipolar output transistors
- 1,000,000 microFarad capacitor bank
- DC servo-coupling
- Gryphon internal wiring
- Output coupling via massive copper bussbars
- No output relays
- Decoupled transformer castings
- Military spec. double-sided printed circuit boards
- Optimal circuit layout for shortest possible signal path
- Two separate Holmgren toroidal transformers with internal magnetic shielding
- Separate power supplies for amp and digital circuits
- Gold-plated Swiss Neutric XLR input sockets
- Gold-plated custom-built Gryphon binding posts
- Backlit, touch-sensitive front panel controls
- 12V remote power trigger for automatic turn-on
- Automatic Green Bias setting or manual Low/Mid/High bias
- Non-invasive protection system
- Power consumption at idle below latest EU requirements
- Designed and built in Denmark
All orders are processed within 48 hours from date of order.
We offer Free Ground Shipping on all orders regardless of size.
- If you would like to receive your order quicker you can request Express shipping during Check-Out in the Comments section. Additional charges will apply.
- In-stock items are shipped from our Vancouver warehouse and will reach major Canadian cities in 5-7 business days.
- Items not in stock will either ship from one of our manufacturer partners' warehouses or in rare cases first must be sent to Vancouver and then to you.
- If the expected arrival to you will be more than 7 business days you will be notified by email and at that point you will have the option to proceed or if you cannot wait then order can be cancelled.
We will gladly:
- (a) exchange a product that is not special ordered, or shipped from one of our partner warehouses, for a new product of equal value (product purchased must be unopened)
- (b) exchange a product if it is defective or damaged for the same product
within 15 days after the product has been delivered to you.
Returns for refund are not accepted.
For an exchange, you must notify us by email at email@example.com. We will acknowledge receipt of your email by reply and assist you in returning the product as identified below. Make sure to send and have your return package post marked within the 15 days after the product has been delivered to you.
- Headphones may not be returned or exchanged for any reason, only defective units will be replaced for the same model
- Items that have been opened may not be returned
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may cancel an order if the product is not delivered to the delivery address on your order form within 30 days of the date your order is accepted.
To cancel, you must notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will acknowledge receipt of your email and process the cancellation.
Products returning for exchange must be unused and in their sealed, original factory packaging.
Buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.